Dual Credits / School College Work Initiative
The School College Work Initiative (SCWI) Level 1 Dual Credit Program is approved by the Ministry of Education allowing students, while they are still in secondary school, to take level 1 apprenticeship in-school training (courses) that count towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), their college transcript and a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
Goals of the Level 1 Dual Credit Programs
- Assist secondary school students in completing their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- Assist secondary school students facing challenges in completing their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- Assist secondary school students in making a successful transition to college and/or apprenticeship programs.
- Complement the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP).
- Complement the Specialist High Skills Major Program (SHSM).
Benefits to Students
- Earn cooperative education credits.
- Earn secondary school credits.
- Earn college credits.
- Develop hands-on skills and employability skills that are transferrable to the workplace.
- Complete Level 1 in-school apprenticeship training – MTCU recognized training.
- Exempt from the post-secondary classroom fee (approximately $400) for their Level 1 apprenticeship training.
- Transition smoothly to a post-secondary pathway having had an opportunity to discover and explore a potential career path.
- May receive advanced standing at some colleges for successful completion of their Level 1 training.
- Determined by the Student Success Team at the participating schools using SCWI selection criteria.
- May include an interview to determine suitability for the program.
- May require a related Grade 12 technological education course or other trade-related course.
- May require a credit in Grade 12 mathematics course.
- May require participation in cooperative education related to the dual credit course(s).